Thursday, September 30, 2010

Dancers, actors, and pop inspiration

I'm glad Margaret Cho didn't get voted off Dancing With the Stars this week. Not that I think she's that great of a dancer or anything, but I can see that she is on a journey that I'm real jealous of seeing as how the story of it is being told via a cheesy reality show.

After her much improved routine this week, Cho spoke about how tough it was after tanking on week 1:
"People would not look at me, because I had like this weird, 'loser energy.' Like, after they would talk to me, they would use hand sanitizer. It was like they were trying to get the loser off.... It's actually amazing to discover, you know, this whole thing -- that I'm actually a dancer.''
That's pretty close to what it's all about for me. The discovery that I'm actually...anything. Anything different that what I only thought I was.

During week one, Cho kind of hammed it up. She did what she was comfortable with- comedy- and that got in the way of the dancing. On week two she let go of the comedy. And she embraced her dancer-ness.

This is inspiring particularly because one of the judges apparently told her that even though it was hard to see (because she was hiding behind her comedy) it was vaguely apparent that she was a dancer.

Who knows what it takes to discover that we are actually...leaders of discipleship. Agents of change. Catalyst of transformation.

Our armour is often comedy, status quo, numbers, or affirmation.

Nobody wants to go to battle unprotected.

But Margaret Cho did and it made all the difference.

I heard Shia LaBeouf say that he doesn't recognize talent as a category.

Everyone is lucky or fortunate or just dedicated and hard working. (I think Malcolm Gladwell is on to this also).

So everyone is actually a dancer or an actor or a basketball player or a boxer or a director of positive life change or a child of God.

Do you suppose we, unlike talent, we make any difference to who discovers who they are and how good they become at being themselves?

No comments: