Saturday, May 8, 2010

Who do your memories belong to?

Alzheimer's disease is considered one of the most dread diseases of all time recently overtaking cancer in a recent poll that I just made up. Anyway, it's a frightening disease. Losing memories is scary. They are the one thing we can feel we can actually control in this day and age and nobody wants to come to terms with the fact that we don't even have that.

Something we can do to take the sting away of having to one day lose that fleeting sense of dignity is to go ahead and start giving our memories away.

If we give them away now, what do we have to be afraid of losing?

Do you hold on closely to your memories?

I'm finding it has to do with wanting to dictate the significance of the things we do together. We have an innate drive it would seem to basically make things "all about me".

I make up preposterous notions about my stuff and what's important not just to me but to you.

And if I don't make some changes pronto. My Alzheimer's years are going to be terrifying.

But with the patience and kindness of a few people who love me (who knows why, really) I'm starting to believe that I can give more and more of my memories away. And then together, we can start to look on the sides of our collective refrigerators and smile a knowing smile and not be so afraid of losing things that aren't really ours anymore.

No comments: