Saturday, April 3, 2010

A tribe of 3rd graders


My 18 year old daughter, Carly, has a high school elective that has her going to an elementary school down the road from her high school a couple times a week to help out with a 3rd grade class. But that's not really what she's doing. She's actually leading a tribe.

I came to realize this when I saw her pouring over a list of her tribe members she was making so she could be sure to get them each an Easter goodie. She wasn't using a spreadsheet or a roster.

She was writing them down from memory. She was thinking aloud, saying their names laughing about something funny she remembered each one had done or said recently.

She carefully prepared the gifts.

I got so interested, I couldn't wait to hear how it went.

It reminded me of the way she goes about her babysitting jobs. She doesn't really baby sit. She plays with children and then always has hilarious stories to tell about something the children did or said.

I want to encourage her to make sure and tell the parents because that (potentially) is ultimately the real value she might be providing as a baby sitter. The stories. Not the babysitting.

I imagine the parents she babysits for not being able to wait to get home to hear the story of their children's adventure with Carly from that evening.

Carly is looking forward to this week's spring break. She does have one regret though.

"I'll miss my 3rd graders."

So. What can I learn from an 18 year old girl and some 3rd graders and babysitting about ministry?


No comments: