Thursday, April 8, 2010

run, walk, crawl

A recent radiolab episode recounted the 1982 ironman competition featured on the Wide World of Sports in which a competitor, Julie Moss loses out within a few yards of the finish line, but continues to struggle to complete the race against a body that is shutting down.

The idea behind the segment and the show is that your body has a built in factor of safety to try to get you to stop before you actually find your limit.

The idea seems to hold as well in mental capacities as well.

Which calls for wonder about the emotional component as well.

Do you suppose we give up on an idea or a dream before we really hit our limit?

I was inspired recently to apply for a 5 day nano MBA seminar with an author and thinker whom I revere, Seth Godin.

I found it interesting because it came at a time when my older daughter is applying for colleges and scholarships and my younger daughter is pursuing a try out for drum major for her high school band.

I was reminded of what they are learning: you can trick yourself into stopping too soon in such endeavors. I used to think that the world was hard on me and took the wind out of my sails and I became complacent about settling for what I thought was reasonable.

I realize it isn't the world I have to worry about. I'm the one who is telling me to shut it down.

But now, inspired by my daughters and some good friends, I want to eschew the pats on the head and the "you tried's" and like Julie Moss crawling toward finish line in body-shutting-down hallucination and soaked in her own excrement, I want to go further than expected, required, and beyond what I thought I could.

I didn't get the opportunity to go to New York and spend 5 days with Seth. But, I'll keep running, walking, and crawling toward linchpinhood all the same.

No comments: