Friday, September 3, 2010

Ready or not

I'm not sure if I'm stuck or if I need to get unstuck. I know I don't feel like I have very much to say to anybody. It seems a lot of the stuff I'm doing, I'm doing out of routine and I do with an overpowering feeling of rote.

I guess this is where everybody says you have to hang in there and stay the course. You have to take walks along routes you normally drive and see things you wouldn't otherwise. Make it a point to use the air dryer and rub rub rub your hands patiently dry. Sit down across from the person that's hard to talk to and look them in the eye but not even in the eye. Face them in the face more like it and...engage and embrace and don't worry about another verb that begins in e.

Think about Parker Palmer and his bouts of depression when the only thing anyone ever did that was helpful was to come over and rub his feet and not say anything. Believe that wherever you are: that is the place to be.

A therapist I know says the litmus test of whether or not he can help someone is the question: how are you doing.

A I'm fine says: "Not ready."

A I don't know if I'm going to make it says: "Let's get started."

So. You ready to get started?

I think I am.

No comments: