Thursday, September 2, 2010

Developing leaders without training wheels

I confided to a friend that I wasn't sure when to lean in and when to give space to a developing leader under the care of my leadership. He gave me that look that people give you sometimes when you ask for something that they know you already have.
"Did you teach your kids how to ride a bike?"
He asked me.
"Yes"
"Well, then. You already know."
Sometimes you let go when you should hold on and they fall and skin their knee.
Sometimes you hold on when they are ready for you to let go and they miss their chance to take it on their own.
It's like that.
I never had too much angst about that with my kids.
I guess because I loved them and I never doubted their love for me. Even when they skinned their knee because of me.
I wonder if that works for developing leaders.

2 comments:

Keith Reynold Jennings said...

The only way forward is through failure. Agree? Disagree?

Unknown said...

So once we have created the trust that failure is ok. We'll work through it and care about each other enough to be fail forward. Then the pressure not to fail becomes pressure to..fail? In lots of organization the name of the game is to avoid failure.