Sunday, July 4, 2010

Don't just trust- be trust

The frog and the scorpion (or words to this effect) wanted to get across the river.

The scorpion asked the frog for a ride across.

No way, said the frog. We'll get half way across and you'll sting me and I'll drown.

Why would I do that? Asked the scorpion. I would die too.

The frog relents and takes out across the river with the scorpion on board.

Halfway across, the scorpion stings the frog which causes the frog to become paralyzed.

Just before the frog sinks below the water to his death, he asks the scorpion: Why? Now we're both going to die.

It's just my nature says the scorpion, according to the tale.

I always thought the frogs error was that he trusted the scorpion.

But after rethinking my definition of trust, I think now maybe his mistake was that he didn't trust the scorpion.

He didn't trust the scorpion to do what scorpions do.

He knew the scorpions nature, but disregarded it.

Thinking someone will do something differently just because it is convenient to my hoped for outcome isn't noble I don't supposed.

It's a waste of social capital.

To trust a scorpion is to not put them in a position to fail.

There is a time to think positive and give someone a chance to prove you wrong about them.

Just not when they are on your back in the middle of the river.

That's when I have to trust them.

(To know what they are most likely to do and plan accordingly).


NOTE: I am grateful to Keith Jennings in that I don't think I am saying exactly what I am trying to say here, but- it doesn't really matter.

No comments: