Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Director of Ministry Success

I heard a presentation today at a college orientation by an individual whose title was Director of Academic Success. It seems her job is to make sure that the 3000 students of the university are...successful, you know, academically.

She pulls out all the stops at it. Charting mid term grades and standing at the ready to email or call students producing unsatisfactory work. She'll talk to resident assistants, professors, parents, advisers, and whoever else is necessary to make sure the students have every opportunity to succeed.

I might try to introduce myself at the staff meet and greet for new members of our organization as the Director of Ministry Success.

I, I'll explain, do every thing within my power to make sure you are successful in your ministry.

What exactly would that mean?

I would have to establish some means of determining how well the freshman church members are doing at their ministry.

What if they don't have a ministry?

What if they don't want a ministry?

Why would students be at a college if they didn't want to learn?

Would people join a church if they didn't have or want a ministry?

What about a calling, then?

Director of Calling Discernment Success.

I'll be visiting with you from time to time to make sure you are finding your comfort zone and then proceeding to step out of that comfort zone sufficiently to allow God's spirit to bring you in to fresh understandings love and grace.

I'll visit you at your home and work to get to know you better so that I can invite you to only the things that I'm sure you will find valuable. I'll ask you to do difficult things. And to struggle. And to take on the sorrows of others for no real advantage to yourself.

If I don't hear from you for a while, I'll email you or call you and say, Hey, what's going on?

I'll talk to your former Ministry Team chair and see if she has any insight into why you shut down sometimes.

We'll keep working at it until we find out what role you play or will play in God's reconciliation to and redemption of the world.

Man, I would love to be a Director of Calling Discernment Success.

No comments: