Friday, May 28, 2010

Turtles in the road

I came across a turtle in the middle of the road. It was along a stretch of road where I had recently seen a magnificent (scary, but magnificent) alligator turtle smashed to bits. It seemed like such a loss to creation that this turtle with this beautiful shell and destined to move so slowly across a busy road might meet the same fate as the smashed up alligator turtle. So I checked the traffic and picked up the turtle and moved him across the road in the direction as best I could tell he was trying to go.

Just, you know, subduing a little bit.

Do you think mission work could be more like that? Innately trying to help people in their struggle to live without recompense or expecting really anything too much to happen on any real scale, much less an eternal one.

Can we leave more to ourselves what God created us to be and leave more to God what is his?

That's what I felt like was happening with the turtle and me.

I wonder if there is a discipleship app for that.

No comments: