Friday, January 8, 2010

I don't know

Karl E. Weick, organizational theorist and author, esteems the words "I don't know" as among the most important in a leader's vocabulary.

Caution: We are all, to some degree in the customer service business and when dealing with a customer "I don't know" must always be followed with: ", but I will find out for you."

So be careful, especially if you are a paid staff member in leadership.

But:

"I don't know" in a leadership context opens up the imagination. It allows you to "drop the heavy tools of rationality... to gain access to lightness in the form of intuitions, feelings, stories, experience, active listening, shared humanity, awareness in the moment, capability for fascination, awe, novel words, and empathy," according to Mr. Weick.

So whether it's about the right way to make coffee, to get butts in the seats, to start a ministry, to get pulpit support, or to report the findings of a church wide study: try "I don't know."

Is Karl Weick right?

You guessed it.

I don't know.

2 comments:

Keith Reynold Jennings said...

I wouldn't assume a person is requesting or asking something because they literally want an answer. There may be something else at work.

This is especially important in the digital domain, where the rule du jour is conversation.

Try this: "I don't know. I can find out if you want, or you may want to discover it on your own. What do you think?"

This approach addressed their request. It empowers the requester and requestee. And it allows for conversation and connection.

So...what do YOU think?

Unknown said...

If the trust level is high enough, "My current thinking on that right now is:_____________" has been leading to some pretty good connection and conversation lately, but should be used judiciously as it makes you some what more vulneralbe.