Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Hostas and the Virgin Birth

I was reminded of the importance of believing and being able to articulate and defend the Virgin Birth during a Bible study recently. Without thinking about it, I have developed a kind of Virgin Birth Faith. I never felt a need to justify it or to be able to empirically prove it. But after this discussion, I sensed a need to revisit my understanding of the doctrine.

I appreciate the invitation to think about it, though, because I had to work through a little bit about how I have experienced the Virgin Birth.

I'm still working on it, but the one that I keep thinking about was a time I happened by a field of hosta plants in a nursery grower's field. It was in the late winter--way to early for hostas to be coming up. (Hostas go dormant in the winter and a field of them looks like an expanse of pots of dirt.)

I guess the sun on the black pots sitting on top of the ground "fooled" the plants into breaking dormancy early.

On the bright, chilly morning I encountered them there was steam rising and the plants were alive with a fresh born existence that seemed to have just happened for the first time ever. There was a discernible fragrance in the air I could only describe as fecundity.

The moment struck me at the time as a holy one. Something had happened out of time and by no doing on any human hands, really. But there was a responsibility for man to take part this "birth". Without some protection from the invariable late freeze or frost, the plants would surely die. There would be weeding (wedding?) and watering and fertilizing in the proper amounts in the seasons ahead. The plants would have to be carefully chosen and divided and repotted so there would be a crop for next year.

And that is my virgin birth experience. It doesn't measure up to the dogma that would be required to win a debate about it. It does, though, seem to for the couple of people I have shared with about it provide an opportunity to connect to each other.

I'm learning that our shared experiences are fertile ground for growth in community, authenticity to our true selves, and connection to God.

Dogma's good too.

But unless it happens to you, it's hard to understand and explain.

So over the next couple of days, I'm going to try to be aware of God's love among us instead of trying to make sure everybody understands it the way I do.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.

No comments: