Sunday, October 18, 2009

k

I overheard a colleague share that she would text the information to another colleague.

It struck me as odd because the textee, as far as I knew, barely communicated via e-mail, and I would have never imagined that she was a texter.

"Oh yeah, I have to," she said. "It's the best way to keep up with my grandson."

She exemplified, I think, an important aspect of leadership.

Do you know how to best communicate with each of those in the care of your leadership?

Or do you just say things like: "I don't text."

I have a friend who, if at all possible, refuses to use microphones. When speaking to a moderate size group, if a microphone is provided, he'll most likely not use it.

"I hate those things," he says.

The microphone isn't for his edification. It's there to make his audience more able to hear him.

So do you ever hear yourself say:

"I don't facebook."

"I don't twitter."

Is what you're saying:

"How I communicate with my ministry team, my accountability group, or my colleagues is more about me than them."

Who do you call on the cell phone and not leave a voicemail because you know they'll call you back?

Who do you facebook rather than e-mail because they check that more regularly?

Who would rather you call them on the home phone rather than the cell phone?

Who always responds to a text faster than a cell phone call?

Who returns your voice mails with an e-mail?

Who do you have to text that you are sending an e-mail: e-mail coming--please read it?

Who do you have to include, in caps on the subject line of an email: ACTION REQUIRED?

Who's on outlook and who's on i-cal when it comes to calendar invitations?

If you don't know, you might not be leading as well as you could.

What's the best way for me to get in touch with you?

What's the best way for you to get in touch with the people most important to your leadership?

What's the best way for you to keep up with the people you love?

No comments: