Tuesday, December 2, 2008

1) Who are you leading?

1) Who are you leading?
If the answer to question 2 is "yes", but the answer to question 1 is "don't know" then the answer to question 2 is actually "no".  The movie Gung Ho has a number of scenes about leadership in it.  The movie is about an American town affected by a Japanese car company buying a auto manufacturing plant that employs a number of the townsfolk.  Problems arise when the Japanese expect the American workers to implement Japanese ways of production in the plant.  In one scene, the Japanese executive explains the difference between the Japanese and American perspective when something goes wrong.  Americans try to find someone to blame.  Japanese try to find a way to solve the problem.  So what is the problem?  If I discover that I am not leading, that is a problem.  What do I do?  Well first of all, who is to blame?  According to Seth Godin in his compelling new book Tribes, I am.  "If you hear an idea but don't believe it, that's not your fault; it's mine.  If you see my new product but don't buy it, it's my failure, not yours.  If you attend my presentation and you're bored, that's my fault too."  Don't learn and I'm teaching: my bad.  Don't buy into the concept I'm offering: I screwed it up.  I'm blogging and no one is reading.  That's my fault.  Looking for a solution? I start leading.  

Identify your group and figure out ways to connect with them and them to each other.  I'll do the same.

3)Become a leader with urgency.  Lean in or back off, but urgency says: err on the side of leaning in.
4)As always, don't be a jerk. 

No comments: