Tuesday, March 29, 2011

If you had a thing that was really important, would you give it to your ministry team?

Objectively:

If you had a really important message to share, an idea to promote, or a story to spread, would you give it to your ministry team?

There are other options you know.

You could get the important politician that your uncle knows to talk about it and write some letters.

You could start up a non-profit and put people on the board who could really get things done.

The clout of the head guy at the church is important.
If you could win her over to make an announcement and hold up your thing and talk about it, that would really get things going.  And of course, the piece de resistance: talking about it in the sermon. (Poignant.)

You could do a whole social media thing and get some viral buzz with You Tube uploads, facebook groups and pages, and take a look at google ad pages.

But asking a ministry team to take it on.

Even your ministry team?

It would be slow and maybe nobody would really get it and maybe it wouldn't even fit into the plan.

So unless it was just a nice little idea and not that important to you, neither one of us would give it to your ministry team.

Unless ministry was important to you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Coming together is a beginning. Keeping together is progress. Working together is success." - Henry Ford

My question is how do we show our ministry team how important this thing is to us. We can hand something important over but if they do not know the bigger picture or the implications of this important thing then why would they care.

In my experience when I have talked to someone and used phrases such as, "do you mind" or "can you please" the initial start has not been what I expected. When I have had the confidence to use "I need you to" I have seen better expectations in the beginning process. I think when people understand that they are not only "needed" but by a person who passionately needs them something in that person changes.

I wish I could stop there and say all you need to do is to ask someone passionately but that is just the start. Then there is a balance of not stepping on toes without letting all you have given die out. So not only do you have to do this but you have to continue your journey with them until they can see the big picture with you.

Story- I play the drums and have been doing so since the 6th grade. There was a time when i just did not get it. I could not understand how all this music stuff worked together. I had a drum teacher who was passionate about drumming. He taught me for three years and I still sucked. But the summer between 8th grade and 9th grade I started to get it. My drum teacher said all of a sudden it clicked. He said for others sometimes it clicks fast, sometimes slow, and sometimes it just never clicks.

What I am saying is that sometimes when we pass that important thing to a ministry team sometimes it clicks fast, it clicks slow, and sometimes not at all.

But wow... when it does click it makes it all worth it.

forrest said...

I've gone so far as to find people who care passionately about something and be a valuable resource for them. It's harder to get some folks to understand that you are passionate about living out their ministry more than what it is they are doing.
Is this way of thinking a cop out?