Thursday, November 4, 2010

Netflix is afflicted by the same thing you struggle with***

 study of online DVD rental habits shows that what we should watch (documentaries, educational, "high brow" shows) sits in our queue for longer periods of time than what we want to watch (action films, "fun" shows).  Let's call this form of procrastination transformation dread.

I came across the study in the thoroughly fascinating blog called You Are Not So Smart.  (Side note: this blog has the best tagline of all time: "A Celebration of Self Delusion".)

I'm not sure why this concept is so encouraging to me:
Misery loves company?  It's not just little ole me that is frustrated by people who don't know what's good for them!
There is a way to actually prove this type of stuff?  Basically I told you so.  See, these people can actually measure this stuff.  That's why people fall all over themselves getting their seller number for the consignment sale, but let me try to hold a 32 week Bible study and see how many people will line up for a number for that.
It gives me an alibi?  Let's be honest.  I can coast on stuff and say- "Yeah, but what about that online dvd rental study?  They won't put my excellent program in their queue anyway."
It explains why I never watched Mississippi Burning?  I know this is an important movie, but I could never bring myself to rent and watch it.  Now I feel less guilty.

But wait.  There's more.

The study also indicates that the more comfortable people get with the online rental system, the more they begin to understand this bias within themselves.

And you know what happens?

The length of time Netflix users hold should films in comparison to want films decreases.

People learn to curb the influence of want over should.

And then, they start watching stuff that will...change them (maybe?)...more often.

So the question for us maybe: Does our ministry have a system that people can learn and grow to understand, trust, and eventually be transformed by?

If not, we may continue to be afflicted and struggle.

While Netflix will keep growing in it's ability to transform people through great stories and ideas.

***Thesis is based upon the fact that the purpose of Netflix is to create opportunities for people to view and be transformed by great stories through the media of movies and tv shows.  If this is not the purpose of Netflix, they probably are not afflicted by transformation dread.  Come to think of it: if your purpose is not to create opportunities for people to experience and be transformed by the various mission and ministry opportunities you and your team offer maybe you aren't struggling...or afflicted either.

Read the post from You Are Not So Smart Here

2 comments:

Pat MacPherson said...

Your question is so important. We must be seeking this answer on a regular basis. However, I've learned to be patient with transformation. It usually takes a while to see it.

I've found that as long as I'm being intentional, then I can depend on God to do the fixing, growing, learning, etc.

The hard part is persevering! Thanks for the thoughts Forrest.

Unknown said...

Pat, when considering, especially, ministry to men, it seems like you have to be in many ways "under cover" with the intentionality. So it's like the ministry has to be intentional on behalf of a group of guys that as soon as they sniff out intentionality, they bolt.

I only know that because I experience it myself.

I'm grateful for MAC ministries and all the times that intentionality is there for me even when I shy away from it. (at least I am trying to keep the bolting to a minimum).