Thursday, January 21, 2010

a sixth sense

Remember that tv show from the 70's called the Sixth Sense?

Gary Collins as Dr. Michael Rhodes?

The parapsychologist?

Well, if not, it was a really cool, short lived show.

I used to watch it and think how cool it was. I wished I could have a sixth sense.

We do, you know. Have a sixth sense. Or maybe it's just a combination of the other five in a weird way.

I was out jogging today and a little dog came yapping from one of the houses in the subdivision.

I have been working on a technique to deal with this because dogs have a sixth sense and if you let them think they have startled you, and you are afraid, they will sometimes get all worked up and bite you. Even if they normally don't do that.

So the second they come yapping, I turn on them and buck up on them. It's been working pretty good.

So I tried it on this dog and it stopped for a second, but when I turned to run, it followed me.

It wasn't a big deal, but I didn't want the dog to wander away from home trying to chase me. So I turned again and then I saw the dog's owner coming to chase after us.

I read her mind. She was sorry that the dog was yapping after me. I used telepathy to let her know: "It's cool. I'm going to stop so your dog will stop. Then you can get your dog. It's fine though. I'm not like mad or anything. I'm not going to keep running so you'll have to chase after your dog to teach you a lesson about not letting your dog yap after me. I'm also not going to scream at you for letting your dog chase me."

I used my telepathic powers to understand that she was really sorry that the dog chased after me and potentially scared me: I didn't know for sure if the thing would try to bite me. "I'm am so sorry," she said in her mind. "Perhaps you too, have a dog that has done this. I can tell by your telepathic transmissions that: yes, yes you have, haven't you? Have a good run. See you next time, but hopefully not under these circumstances."

So it wasn't Dr. Michael Rhodes. But close.

I made some assumptions. I took the time to read faces and to attempt to do whatever resulted in the best outcome.

I sometimes choose to teach someone a lesson by being a jerk when they have it coming to them.

Sometimes I'm pretty sure what people are trying to say and why, but I don't let them off the hook that easy. I'd rather embarrass them or correct them to say "I know more than you do."

But it's cooler when I can be like Mike, Dr. Michael Rhodes.

And let them know what I'm thinking and to try to know what they are thinking, saying and trying to do.

What do you think?

No comments: