Saturday, September 19, 2009

I bet you

A friend worked an analogy about gambling and career success for a good while recently. Negative connotations about gambling aside, it involved picking "the right game"- the one that suits your passion and interest. It also came down to how you place your bets and ultimately if the stakes are appropriate and if you can say after the game: "I enjoyed that", or "I lost some money, but it was worth it."

I also just read a review of a business book in which the reviewer shared that he has "placed bets on the author" and encouraged others to "gamble" on him and his book as well.

So: a couple of things I bet you.

I bet your presence will make things right that your knowledge and expertise won't.

I bet leadership is more important than getting your way and getting others to submit to your way.

I bet if you believe the story of the organization, you'll serve the organization in a spirit of unity and others will be inspired.

I bet if you try to make others unified and inspired because the organization says they should be, you'll be frustrated.

I bet you'll never understand the world until you understand yourself and those closest to you.

I bet if discipleship is the main thing, everything else will fall into place.

I bet if you forget trying to figure out the "unsearchable" part of God's nature, you'll come to intimacy with the grace of God.

I bet the answer lies within you; or else it's the wrong question.

I bet the house doesn't always win.

2 comments:

Keith Reynold Jennings said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Keith Reynold Jennings said...

Even if your presence doesn't make things right.

Even if Godly leadership fails.

Even if your organization falls short of your belief in it.

Even if you don't understand the world.

Even if everything doesn't fall into place.

Even if you never experience God's presence despite your faith.

Even if there are no answers.

I hope you enjoy the ride.

And I hope it was worth it.